Thursday, May 20, 2010

At what speed does the Canon 40D write to the Compact Flash Card?

I want to buy a larger capacity CF card but want to make sure I get one that is fast enough or faster than the 40D can write.

At what speed does the Canon 40D write to the Compact Flash Card?
Just make sure you buy a decent, high speed CF card (something like the Sandisk Extreme IV). It's available in capacities of 2, 4 and 8GB.


According to speed tests from the second link below (on the 30D, as the 40D is much too new), the 2GB Extreme IV is the fastest (and minutely faster than the 4GB version).


You can also compare the card speed when used in higher end cameras (the Extreme IV is fastest in many tests).


You should also take into consideration that the 40D is a newer model, so is bound to have some speed improvements overall, as it features the latest processor.
Reply:That is on thing that is not listed in the cameras specifications, yet sometimes Nikon and Canon will put it in their manuals. Why? Who knows?





I have learned that all the DSLR's made by Nikon and Canon within the past three years will write up to 133x. This is unconfirmed, since I rarely shoot burst shots because experience has shown me that shooting one shot at a time gives me much more control over the final image.





Even under conditions where I am shooting models at over two shots a second for extended periods of time, I have not had problems with the card slowing down the writes to it from the 10mp sensor on my D200 ... even using a "slow" 50x memory card.





Except for certain scientific applications, shooting at a high fps and for many frames is unusual.

Nanny Source

No comments:

Post a Comment